Tuesday, January 31, 2006



Here is my current project. My quilting group is doing a calendar quilt with each quilter doing one month of her own quilt and then trading with others until everyone has a piece done by someone else. The pieces are different shapes for differnt months. January's piece is 6 x 36, (mine is straight !!! although it doesn't look it) Most quilts are going to be anything goes, applique, embroidery, paper piecing, patchwork, embellishments, whatever.




I found my inspiration from what I see outside during this time of year. Dark gray trees, with snow on them and bright white snowflakes.

This wallhanging I made for my mom a long time ago. I call it Aerin's Ladies, as my dd, then 3, helped me pick out the ladies dresses. I really like how I did the sashing and the nine patches at the corners. But upon closer inspection, I realized the binding was fused on and not sewn down. Oh, well, she doesn't wash this and no one else knows....

This is really not a project I would pick to do now, but I enjoyed making it. And with fusible web it didn't take too long.

Today and yesterday were good quilty days. I started an Odds and Ends Quilt. I am using my scraps and odd blocks to make a quilt top. I am using 6 inches for the scrap block but including some orphan blocks of any size, just bordered to fit somewhere. So it is easy to work with different sized components. I don't expect it to be beautiful, but full of memories. I received a BD FQ swap. And the fabrics are wonderful! As usual, I am not working on one project but three or four. Tomorrow morning I work, but the can sew in the afternoon.

6 comments:

Patti said...

Your January piece when viewed as a whole line of blocks struck me immediately as looking like an Indian design. Quite appropriate in all ways for Alaska!

Jeanne said...

Hi Rebecca! I really like the January row for your calendar quilt. Are there twelve quilters in the swap? Please tell me more about how it's organized - I'd love to do something like that.
Jeanne :)

Three Friends said...

your snow blocks look great!
love the inspiration you drew it from...

Finn said...

I like the ladies you and DD made for your mom..it's a lovely keepsake!
And HURRAY for the odds and ends quilt...sometimes I think that when we allow ourselves to be our most creative..when we're "doing it" just for fun!

Your quilts are great! keep up the good work, you really have an eye for fabric and combinations!!

JudyL said...

Your calendar strip is so neat! I love the picture that was your inspiration. I would never have seen what you so and it is perfect!!

Judy L.

Kay said...

I love your snow row! I have had a similar photograph for several years waiting for inspiration to strike for the blocks to use. I have even collected greys, greyed greens, and greyed blues for this winter quilt. One of these days the correct block will come to me. Thanks for giving me some more motivation