Saturday, March 25, 2006

Hi All! I just love to read all your comments and your blogs. What great work everyone is doing!

The quilt in the last post is a pattern by Debby Caffrey called The Cat's Meow.



Here is a photo of a quilt I finished binding today. This quilt belongs to my friend Carol, and was her husbands when he was a boy. The batting had gotten all gobby in the quilt and she had taken it apart and had it machine quilted about five years ago. It was never bound and finished and when she pulled it out of the closet to show me, I offered to do it for her. I found some solid yellow that is such a close match, and machine stitched it to the front and hand sewed it to the back. Hand sewing took about four hours. This quilt is a long twin size and is probably made from feed sacks and flour sacks. It is in very good condition. Some of the embroidery thread is broken in places and there are a few darks marks.

This is another quilt Carol pulled out of the closet and said her grandma made. It is on a twin bed in the photo, but the quilt is square. It is machine pieced, handquilted and machine bound. The red is really vibrant and the quilt is in excellent condition.

Carol says she has more quilts to show me, but they will have to wait until another day.

8 comments:

cher said...

nice quilt show...how nice of you to finish up your friends quilt!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Oh my goodness, I have that very exact same pattern of horses and cowboys that my Nana traced out for me years ago on notebook paper. I got as far as cutting out enough horses for a top!!!

And square quilts - you know, a size 3/4 bed used to be very popular - I had 3/4 beds growing up - wider than a twin, but not as wide as a queen. I think 3/4 beds explain those odd square shaped quilts we see sometimes that our grandmother's pieced!

Linda_J said...

Carol is one lucky girl to have those quilts in her family and also luck to have a friend like you to help her.

Barbara said...

Wow wonderfull quilts, I really like the clear colours!

Vicky said...

Those are beautiful quilts! What a lucky lady she is to own those!

Samantha said...

your friend has a fun closet ;-) Very nice of you to bind for her!

Finn said...

What a lovely cowboy and horse quilt...I love that sort of top, and how wonderful you were willing to finish it up for your friend!!
I'm sure it will be a family treasure all over again!!

And what a really stunning red and white quilt..wish I had something like that in my closet..*VBS*

Jeanne said...

Great vintage cowboy quilt!!
Jeanne :)