Tuesday, March 14, 2006


Remember I am making a 1000 Pyramids quilt? Well, I have been cutting the triangles out of nickels. It seemed such a waste of those other triangle pieces, surely I could find something to do with them? So I sewed them together and trimmed to half rectangles and put this pointy star together with some four inch squares and two inch sashing. I will add another outer border, scrappy somehow.

My dh and dd said in unison "Look, more stars!"



There was a post on this ring awhile back about finding your "thing" in quilting. Mine has always been stars. Four, six, eight points, doesn't matter. Remember the blue and white star sampler (in a previous post), the Mexican crosses (Stars) (in a previous post with the polka dot border) , the Christmas mystery quilt(see below)? All stars. No one is surprised anymore by my quilts, they are stars. Maybe I should get a new thing? Anyway, I love stars, they way they can be so different and stand out from the background. And the points, oh the points. Sometimes, I chop them off just for fun.

This is a wallhanging I made for my mom. Just a big star with little stars...

A star variation "Chiclets" that I saw on QNN. Dh said, "Oh look, more stars!"

A Feathered Star from a small paperpieced pattern. Not sure if I really like the yellow border but it is quilted and hanging on the wall so I guess it is too late.


It is very windy here today, the temp is 5 %. Our screen door is just blowing back and forth. The wind is so strong, I can't keep it closed. But the light is coming back and for that I am soooo thankful!

16 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Stars are good in my book! I love the scrappy one at the top! Great value selections - an area where I am less confident, so I appreciate it when I see it so well done!

dot said...

Each of these pieces are beautiful. I haven't made to many stars but you light the fire for me to try. It will be simmer in my mind.

Patti said...

Of all your star quilts I love the new scrappy one the best. I'm so glad you didn't throw away the remaining parts of those nickels! I love star quilts too - but I'm always especially drawn to feathered stars. One of these days I want to make a bed size quilt of just feathered stars.

Happy Valley Quilter said...

I like stars too. I just can't get enough of them. Thanks for sharing your pictures!
Kairle

Vicky said...

Pretty pretty star quilts. They're one of my favorites also!

Linda_J said...

Well done, Rebecca! All wonderful quilts but I have to say that the one I like the best is the Scrappy Sun Ray Stars.

Mary said...

I love bonus quilts. Good for you for finding a use for those leftover bits.

Finn said...

Great star quilts Rebecca!! I like them all. BUT...the new one from the scrap pieces of your nickle square is spectacular..*VBS* Absolutely the best..I love the scrappiness and the inspiration to make it!! Great job !!!!!!

Laurie Ann said...

Love the bed quilt with the lotsa point stars and the orange! Yum!

cher said...

I love star quilts too...and the best one is the bonus scrappy one in my opinion...it just sparkles!

Laurie said...

I love stars as well! GORGEOUS quilts! Thanks for the wonderful eye candy!
hugs
laurie

Sandra said...

All your quilts are beautiful - the new one is awsome! The small wallhanging at the bottom - I like the yellow border, as it picks out the yellow in the floral fabric.

Joanne said...

I thought that star quilt looked familiar -- I just looked at it in your DYS album!
I'm way behind on reading blogs -- obviously!
(JT)

Passionate Quilter said...

stars are good--and yours are great! I love how you were able to find something to do with your cast offs from the pyramids. Very creative!

Samantha said...

I can see why stars are your "thing"- you're wonderful at them!

Kay said...

I also love stars. These are wonderful, particularly the very scrappy one you showed first.