Sunday, April 09, 2006




Another quilt from Carol's Closet...

This is another quilt from the 30's -40's era. I don't think it has been washed much, the pencil marked quilting lines are still on the top. There is no middle to the plates, just the wreaths appliqued on with a running stitch around the edge of them. This quilt is four blocks wide and six long and is in great condition.

I have two quilt horror stories to share with you all today.

A lady from an online group took her quilt to be machine quilted. This was the first time she had a quilt machine quilted and had not dealt with this retailer before. She provided the batting and backing. When she went to pick up the quilt, she noticed they had charged her for batting, and she brought this to their attention. Their response was that they didn't like the batting she had brought and THREW IT AWAY. Then they added the batting of their choice and quilted it. They never called her to notify her and did not tell her when she brought it in that they didn't like that brand. I can't remember the brand but it was not cheapy stuff. They did not refund her money or give her a credit or anything. I told her to tell everyone what had happened and to make sure she NEVER sent any business their way. Can you believe some people?

My friend Mary hangs quilts in our church to dampen the sound. She makes absolutely lovely quilts, mostly batiks, and very striking. There are usually 6 to 8 quilts in the church at any one time. Today we were taking hers down so that I could display mine for a few months. Our styles are very different so they would clash bad if they were up at the same time. Anyway, about a month ago there was a wedding at the church and they took down the quilts and rehung them after the ceremony. The quilts are hung with pushpins into the walls and there are plenty of pins in the secretary's office which is not locked. When we went to take down two of the quilts, they were hung back on the walls with 16 penny NAILS. Like pounded in with a hammer. The other quilts had pins so why NAILS in these? There were 1/4 inch HOLES in the quilts when we got the NAILS out with a pair of pliers. She was very upset to say the least. I told her the LQS has some stuff like super fray check that is pliable and may work to make the holes less noticeable if she can work a little with the threads and a toothpick. Can you believe some people?

6 comments:

Linda_J said...

Rebecca, unfortunately I DO believe some people. I believe that they are either totally ignorant or uninformed about care of quilts.

My quilt group and I were asked last year to repair two quilts from a local assisted living facility. One just needed new binding and hanging sleeve applied--easy enough. The other, a take off on Mary Engelbreit "Life is Chair of Bowlies" hung on the Alzheimers wing where it had been well fondled but the worst of the deal was that some idiot had screwed it up to the wall! The stupidest part? It had a hanging sleeve---like duh, what did you think that was there for?

We got it fixed better than ever and some red staining that came from the thread used in the satin stitch came out when I laundered it after quilting--you better believe the staff won't make that mistake again.

cher said...

horror stories indeed-lovely dresden plate quilt

Samantha said...

yikes, those are SCARY stories!

quiltpixie said...

Poor crucified quilt. Hope it can raise to new life...

Laurie said...

Rebecca,
WOW...that is incredibly RUDE and DISRESPECTFUL. I feel so badly for your friend. I hope that she can repair them. I guess she'll have to hang them herself from now on.
Hugs
Laurie

Vicky said...

I can certainly believe the nail story because I've seen that one first-hand. But the story of the quilter just amazes me. I sent two quilts out once to someone and they were both messed up - and are still not completed. I'll have to pull those out and post pix to see if any of you have any ideas on fixing them.