Friday, April 28, 2006

Hmmmmmm.....
My mom taught me to sew in junior high and high school, sewing clothes. I don't ever remember seeing a quilt then, I know there weren't any in our house.
I bought a sewing machine with money from our wedding in June, and soon after I decided to make DH a quilt for Christmas. No pattern, no idea what to do. So I went to Wal-Mart and bought some fabric, and started cutting it into squares with scissors. I thought 48 blocks no problem, a few a week and I'll have this done in no time. I then forgot about it. Until Thanksgiving. Arrrgh! The quilt! Sew, sew, sew, sew, sew, sew......I finished this quilt on Christmas Eve 1994. However, I tied it, I didn't know better, in FOUR places. The quilt was at least queen size. I used prequilted fabric for the backing, and did a sew and turn edge. My DH loved it. He used it everynight for six years and then it fell apart. Not knowing any better, I threw it away and started making him a new one. This is the only photo I have of it. DH and DD sleeping soundly, wrapped in love. awwwww...


Quilt #2. I had attended one guild meeting and they were doing a stack and whack presentation, in 1997. I bought some pillow panels and cut them up, and used a cheerios box to make templates to make the squares "square" (now looking at them, they are not so square!). When I was done with the blocks, eight of them, they didn't make a good quilt size, so I just added some fabric on the edges of the blocks and then sashed it. I did fussy cut those corner stones though. I did quilt this one, with the backing of a dark blue bed sheet. I quilted around the blocks and a great big circle in the blocks. Not very much quilting, but more than the last quilt :). And then from there....it hasn't stopped.


This is the most recent finish. I finished the quilting this morning and threw it in the wash to shrink the batting (I love that look). The back is grey and the binding is a dark blue plaid. BUT, one of the strips ran so I had to rewash and most of it came out. Since this is going to hang on the wall or something, it is no big deal. The material that ran is in the lower right hand corner by the star, a blue and pink, hand dye (?) I don't know where I got it or why I have only that one strip of it. But if I run across any more I won't use it again.

10 comments:

Laurie said...

Rebecca,
I just LOVE the pic of your dh and dd. TOO CUTE!!! Thanks for sharing!
Hug
Laurie

ForestJane said...

That top picture's adorable! Both sleeping so soundly. :)

dot said...

Oh the progress we make as we go along. I don't have any pics of my early quilts. I like reading about your adventure into quilting.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

This is a great story of your quilting journey - and what a cutie-pa-tootie picture of your 2 darlings sleeping together! And your new quilt is super-fab!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Vicky said...

All of your quilts are just beautiful, but the one with the sleeping beauties is fabulous! What a memory shot!

Looking back at our early quilts is a humbling experience to us, but the recipients of those quilts think they're perfect!

Thanks for sharing your story! I love hearing about how the quilting bug bites each of us!

Patti said...

I love first quilt-last quilt pictures and stories. It's remarkable how much we each learn in the process. That's a precious picture of your DH and daughter.

Linda_J said...

Fun to see how you have grown as a quilter. I assume too that this little cutie in the picture might be one we have seen in other snaps of the family?

Sounds like that first quilt was loved to death!

Hanne said...

Lovely quilts - and adorable photo of your DH and DD :-)

Mary said...

I like the crinkled look too - one reason I don't prewash my fabric. I really like the stars quilt.

Lucy said...

The stars are so great!!!