Monday, May 15, 2006


Here is my 1000 Pyramids at the 500 mark! Wa-hooooooo! 13 rows of 40, yeee-ha!!!

Most of this is hand pieced but I am joining the rows by machine. Not too much trouble with bias edges, some are pretty wonky but I wrestle them back into shape. Of course, not all the points meet but can you tell from here? And isn't that how most people will see this quilt? :) This will be a queen size quilt when it is done. The triangles are cut 5 inches per side. After adding a few more rows tonight I decided to stay stitch around the edges so that it will not stretch any more. I might hand quilt this because my long armer won't quilt hand pieced quilts. But maybe I will just run it thru my janome, and quilt 1/4 inch inside the triangles.

I started this quilt in January maybe. No rush on this one. I hand piece the units while riding in the car, waiting at the doctors office, waiting for AWANA to get done, watching TV, etc. I usually piece units of eight triangles, then I can put them together as 5 groups of eight to make a 40 piece strip. I have about another 100 pieced already, but not ready to be set into the quilt.

13 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

cool, is that a charm quilt? (no repeats?) I wanted to do a 1000 pyramids once upon a time ago - my one foray went so awry that I gave up on that idea!

Jeanne said...

Ohohoh -- you're making GREAT progress on this one! Glad to hear the bias isn't giving you too much trouble -- I know it was on your mind when you began this.
Jeanne

cher said...

fantastic progress! way to go, thanks for sharing...

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Amazing how little bits of time caught here and there are equaling this fantastic quilt! It really is great!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Laurie Ann said...

All the points look perfect from here! Love the quilt below, very bright and cheerful!

ForestJane said...

What a nice mix of colors!

I've been looking at new sewing machines (I'm sewing on a 30 year old one that won't do all that I want it to do) so I have a question... Why is it that your long arm won't sew hand quilting? Is this something I should watch out for?

dot said...

I like this and the one below also. Bright, chereful, and beautiful.

Sandra said...

This is coming together just great. I love this pattern and your scraps really do it justice. Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Samantha said...

Wow! The triangles look great, kudos to you!

JudyL said...

That is going to be one neat quilt!!

Judy L.

Hanne said...

Your 1000 pyramids looks smashing good !

Laurie said...

gorgeous! it is coming along nicely!
hugs
laurie

Shelina said...

Wow this is an amazing quilt. Great job!