Wednesday, May 10, 2006

It feels like summer here. The weather is beautiful, there are no bugs (yet), and the ground is dried out. I walked the dog today and really enjoyed it.



Last weekend I went to "town" 187 miles away, and turned in a gift certificate for $20 worth of fabric. I got two yards of a light pink batik, and two yards and some of a white print. I also bought Judy Martin's new books, Scraps. What a great book! In another quilt store I saw a quilt made from red, white and blue fabric called Stars and Hourglasses from More Nickel Quilts. That made me want to come home and pull the patriotic fabrics. (Haven't done it yet).


The day before I went to town, I pulled some strips and started sewing. I sewed the strips together and cut 4 1/2 inch by 8 1/2 inch rectangles. Then I pieced those together one above the other and added a rectangle on the end. The block does not turn out to be square so it is kind of hard to make out, as our eyes look for squares. I finished this crib size top in about 4 hours. I have no plans for it, just wanted to make something quick.

And this is a quilt I forgot I made! I made this one in 2001 from a strip swap. I had only been quilting a few years and now when I look at this I think, Wow! Those blocks are big. I cut them to be 9 1/2 inches because that was the size of my ruler. There are quite a few things I would do differently today, but my mom loves this quilt. It is in her summer apartment and since the building has all brick walls, it dampens the sound. The quilting is all swirly.

8 comments:

Norma said...

I love the string star quilt that you made for your mother.

The Calico Cat said...

Love the scenic photo... Town sure is far away, but I bet it was fun to use the GC. I got Judy's new book too - I plan to do the chains one using Orientals and one of the floating ones with my novelties & greens. (For starters!)

Laurie Ann said...

Great to hear from you again! Love both the quilts. String quilts are some of my favorites. Glad you and the pup had a good "walkies." :)

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I have been looking at some of my earlier quilts lately too - and saying - hummm. But, I am so happy that I did make them and people are enjoying them! We all start somewhere - your early string quilt is really nice! And, I like the one you just did too - sometimes it is handy to have a spare quilt on hand.

Sounds like you had fun shopping in "town"!

Cheers!
Evelyn

Laurie said...

Rebecca,
LOVE the pic of the snow! I miss it! (Minnesota gal here) ANd your quilts are awesome!
Hugs
Laurie

Hanne said...

Cute scrap quilt :-)

cher said...

I like that simple and put it together as you go baby quilt you whipped up...my kind of designing and making!

Linda_J said...

I love seeing the scenery shots from around your area!

The patriotic quilt looks like it would be great fun! Neat quilts shown as well.