Thursday, May 25, 2006

So, here is the moose wallhanging that DH referred to in his comment.

I made this wallhanging in 2002, after a visit to Alaska, before we moved here. I found this gorgeous northern light fabric and this cute moose pattern. So I made this after we got home to remember our visit. However, there is a big problem with this scene. You can't see the norther lights when there is grass and fireweed, because it doesn't get dark!!! But, oh well.

Ok, so I'm almost done with this picture when my then 4 y.o. looks at it. Before I can stop her, she grabs a pen and puts on an eye. "What did you do?!!!" "But, Mama, he had to have an eye!"
At least she put it in the right place, sorta. It is right between the antlers. So, now I have two memories for one wallhanging. :)

14 comments:

ForestJane said...

Tell her I agree, he needed an eye so he could see the northern lights. :)

And a tail too!

cher said...

welcome home, sounds like a wonderful vacation.

Laurie Ann said...

The northern lights must have been so bright and intense that they provided enough light to see the flowers! :) Love the wall hanging!

Linda_J said...

cute story! Your husband sounds so supportive of your endeavors. I'm glad he asked you to post the picture of the wallhanging.

Radar said...

How can I not be supportive? She's awesome at quilting. All bias aside, she has a great eye for color and pattern and she's creative in ways I could only hope to be.

Hanne said...

Very nice moose - yes it needed and eye. We have moose in Norway too, lots of them.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Well, it is a very subtle eye! And, every moose needs an eye, but I can imagine that you probably had a near heart-attack at the time. So nice of your DH to urge you to post the photo/story to share!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Jeanne said...

Ha, I can see him looking at the fireweed, thinking about having a munch :)
The thing about the light/dark and growing seasons is just a "technical difficulty." In YOUR world, ALL the beauties of nature can be enjoyed at once!
Jeanne

Bonnie said...

What a great story. Did your daughter also name the moose?

Passionate Quilter said...

what a precious little girl--and so smart too! Now you'll never look at that wallhanging without thinking of her in all her pure innocence. Those are the best memories!

Patti said...

That's called Artistic License, Rebecca - I love it! Who cares if grass doesn't grow and flowers don't bloom during northern lights displays!

Leah S said...

I love the Northern Lights fabric! And I would love to see them someday too. :)

JudyL said...

That's a neat story about your 4 y.o. adding the eye. Something you will always remember!

Judy L.

Shelina said...

That's a cute moose. The dot looks like a mole to me because there seems to be something in the pattern of a fabric that looks like an eye, just where it belongs!