Friday, June 23, 2006



Here is a new wallhanging. It is 50x50. I designed it to focus on the fabric in the middle, and all the colors come from that fabric. It is all batiks, and I have to admit, I don't care for working with them. It seems the fabric is too stiff and has too many threads. However, they sure are beautiful.

I am plugging away at a BOM that I don't really want to finish. It is As Time Goes By from Keepsake Quilting. I am working on the border so at least it is almost done. The colors are very dusty and kind of muted. I have enjoyed making the blocks, but I would do it in different colors if I had picked it out myself. Something bright and cheery.

Has anyone bought the new Thimbleberries line called Sonora Sky? It looks to be beautiful but I have only seen pictures. I would like opinions about the clarity of the colors before I buy it. Thimbleberries usually has such dark colors but this line has yellows in it that really grabbed my attention.

I bought Quilters Home last week, the new magazine put out by Mark Lipinski. I LOVED it. I don't think I have ever laughed while reading a quilting magazine before. The articles were wonderful, and little blurbs about fabric, podcasting, books, recipes, and such made for a great read. I read some negative comments about it on a group list, that it was hard to read, color on color printing. However, I did not have that problem. I would recommend it to all quilters for an entertaining afternoon. The patterns are inspired by Vera Wang, and didn't really call to me, but are certainly beautiful. www.quiltershomemag.com Free pattern available.

Also today, I received the premier issue of Cotton Spice, another new quilt magazine. It is not as polished as other magazines, but has a homey feel to it, and a companion web site. I liked the patterns in this, variations of equilateral triangles, they are very inspirational. I haven't gotten to read all the way thru it yet, but I am sure I will enjoy it. I really like the web site. www.cottonspice.com . Free pattern available in the webzine.

10 comments:

computerpeach said...

Beautiful Quilt!! I just love it. Batiks are beautiful, but I agree, a little hard to work with.

Thanks for the link to Quilter's Home - Love that magazine - I laughed out loud too - my DH thought I was crazy!!!

Also thanks for the link to Cotton Spice - I had forgotten I wanted to check that one out as well!

Linda_J said...

very pretty wallhanging!

Fabeic is beautiful but because of the stiffness I wouldn't want to hand quilt it, would you? Not that many of us do that around the ring.

JudyL said...

I love your batik quilt. It is a bit difficult to sew but it is so pretty!

I also love Cotton Spice and Quilters Home. With Quilters Home, I also was laughing out loud and even read part of it to DH. Can't wait for the next issue! :)

Judy L.

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the information on the new magazines.
You quilt looks wonderful!

Laurie Ann said...

Beautiful wall hanging!

Nancy said...

This is a lovely quilt but I agree about the batiks. I do love them and have a whole shelf full but they sure are hard to work with! Once - and ONLY once - I used a batik in a fusible applique that then had buttonhole stitch hand done around it. NEVER AGAIN!

Laurie said...

Rebecca,
OH, batiks are a passion of mine! I just love all the texture they give! Your wallhanging is GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for sharing!
Hugs
Laurie

Hanne said...

Cute wall hanging !

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Great use of colors/fabrics for your wallhanging - I like it! Keep plugging away at your BOM - you are almost done!!! And good magazines always make for a nice way to spend a few moments during the day.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Karen said...

Thanks for the mention about Cotton Spice! We've gotten lots of visitors from your site, so I had to come and check it out!

We're putting together a page called 'What People are Saying About Cotton Spice'...do you mind if I quote you, with a link to your blog?

Thanks again!
Karen Gass
Editor, Cotton Spice Quilting Magazine