Monday, June 05, 2006

More Alaska Photos

My DH had a day off and suggested we go to Kennecott. This is an old copper mine that was operating in the 1920's and had the largest supply of copper ore ever found. It closed in 1938 but because of it's remoteness, most of the machinery and stuff is still around. To get there, we traveled 60 miles on pavement and 60 miles on a small one lane gravel road. There is a small town there called McCarthy, and the people get there mostly by flying. But it was a beautiful day and the road was in good shape.


And this is what I found in a gift shop...

7 comments:

Patti said...

Wonderful machine. Is it now yours? :-)

Norma said...

I love that thimble display! How creative!

cher said...

what a beauty! hope you brought it home.

Karen said...

Love the photos of the mine buildings and the waterfall. Did you walk around/in the buildings? Mucho photo opportunities!

Mary said...

Did you buy it? I bought an old singer hand crank machine but it wasn't in a cabinet.

ForestJane said...

I love the third picture down - the rocks and the water. Thanks for sharing all that beauty!

Lizzy said...

Love the mine pictures. I saved them for a project I'm doing the colors are perfect. Thanks