Wednesday, June 28, 2006


Nothing quilty going on today. So here is a photo of a paper pieced nativity scene from 1999. The colors are brighter but I think they get washed out on the green rug. I hand quilted this, as you can see, it says, O COME LET US ADORE HIM across the bottom. (I should have written it out first, it is kind of squished on the one end). And there are angles in the sky with trumpets, blue on blue, so you have to look close to see them in person, even. My mom collects nativities, so this resides at her house. It is small, maybe 12 x 12. I would love to do another paper pieced nativity. I have seen quite a few and been very impressed with them all.

Instead of quilting today, my family and I went to Worthington Glacier and hiked around up to the glacier, and hopped on the rocks, waded the streams (VERY COLD), threw rocks, looked around, and generally had a good time. Then we went to Valdez for dinner and then went down to the docks. The fishing charters were coming in and there were some 120 pound halibuts!

I didn't get to play with holly hocks as a child as I grew up here in Alaska and didn't know anything about them until I moved to Iowa to go to college. But they are so beautiful, I just love them. I would love to have more hollyhock patterns, fabric, anything. But I have never seen any.

7 comments:

ForestJane said...

You always have some of the most beautiful scenery in your blog. :)

I like the nativity scene too - you're making me want to do a Christmas themeed quilt.

quiltpixie said...

Do you want some holly hock seed? they seem to grow like weeds around my place :-)

Karen said...

It's so interesting to see your dramatic nature photos. I forget about these gorgeous places here in suburbia.

Laurie Ann said...

Love the nativity scene. I'll have to keep my eyes out for a similar pattern.

Bonnie said...

The nativity scene is so sweet. I think I have a similar pattern in my "someday" box. I really like that you included the words "Come, let us adore Him". I'll save that idea for when I get around to making the pattern I have.

Linda_J said...

I wish I had seen something like that nativity scene when I was working on Betsy's Christmas quilt--of course, I have plans to finish mine one of these years too.

Love the scenery pictures you post!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I think the saying is - Make hay while the sun is shining - so, glad to hear that you are enjoying the nice summer weather while the sun is shining!

Love you nativity. I really want to make some small quilts to hang on my front door...

Cheers!

Evelyn