Sunday, July 30, 2006


I just read in a new magazine that there is a new hand quilting movement called "Big Stitch Quilting." Hooray! I'm saved! Now I don't have to worry about how large my stitches are, I can just say, "It's a new thing. They are supposed to be that way!" :) And it sure goes fast! These triangles are about 4 1/2 inches across the bottom. I am quilting 1/4 inch inside the light triangles. I have half the quilt pieced and sandwiched. I figure messing with half will be so much easier than the whole thing.

I cleaned my sewing room today. I stacked the fabric boxes, put the scraps back into the scrap bin, put the thread in the thread box, and cleaned off the ironing board. I even vacuumed the floor! Pins on the floor don't bother me, but DH complains when he tries to reach the bookshelf and gets stuck.

Projects I just have to work on this week:

1. Finish quilt for Mom's friend, must be done by Aug. 11. Needs about two more hours of work.
2. Round robin, needs appliqued, already fused.
3. Put coffee quilt rows together.
4. Make a test block for sunflower quilt.
5. Hand quilt on 1000 Pyramids.
6. Select fabric for Sept. class.
7. Make second set of valances.
8. Christmas ornaments.
9. Whole cloth baby quilt.
10. Friendship stars for swap, need about 50 more.

9 comments:

quiltpixie said...

sounds like a busy week is planned....

anne bebbington said...

Woohoo - I might even take up hand quilting if you can stitch that big :o)

Susan said...

Sounds like Sashiko. =) There have been rumors of the big stitch thing for a few years. I say some of our "grandmothers" had huge stitches! It is what it is. I wouldn't love it any less if my grandmother had big, and uneven, stitches.

Your projects for the week sound like they will take up every minute!

Gail said...

Sounds like quite a week for you- do you plan to take time out to eat and sleep? LOL

Linda_J said...

I am willing to bet that the big stitch thing or stitching with perle cotton in big stitches is not "new" at all---been around for years as a utility stitch. AND probably some one that could not get their stitches small enough said "oh the heck with it" and popularized it as next big thing. Small doesn't matter as much as even, after all.

Judith said...

Wow sounds like a very busy week planned

Bonnie said...

Busy week - good luck!
And I love the big stitching. I vote for that movement!

Melzie said...

I am very intrigued by that little piece that says "IRONING, SCRAP" whats the whole fabric look like of that? Very scrappy and pretty :) xoxo melzie

Jeanne said...

I'm a 'Big Stitch' hand quilter. I like the folk-art feel it adds to my quilts!
Jeanne