Monday, July 17, 2006

I was trying to take a photo today of my round robin top, after I put on the final border. Without enough room inside the house, I hung it on the line. What a joke! Everytime I started to take a photo a gust of wind came by. Finally, I gave up.




I am making DH a coffee quilt. All colors of coffee from dark brown to light cream. I sewed half of the blocks last night and then finished the others this morning. To my horror, I sewed all the blocks this morning, BACKWARDS! DH says he likes this pattern (I just used some strips, cut apart, and sewn back together with other pieces in between) but I'm not too sure yet. But at least it will be a one of a kind. :) I have always liked brown, although a dark orange is really calling my name lately.

I really don't have a favorite color. I like them all so my dd asks, "What is your favorite color today?" I really like to work with blues, and yellows add a lot of sparkle, lime green is fun and "in" this year. Maybe that is why I like scrap quilts so much is that they use all the colors. I figure it this way, my world is so full of color and all the colors are right next to each other, all mixing so beautifully, why bother to match all the colors in a quilt? Now, I have made matchy quilts and they are beautiful, but I prefer all the colors together.

13 comments:

anne bebbington said...

I usually snap my efforts hanging on the washing line too - it's amazing how useful two young children one at each bottom corner can be when it's blowing like that - love your coffee quilt - I seldom use browns in any form so that really set me thinking

Gail said...

I hope the wind dies down so you can get a good picture to share. The coffee quilt is working out well-and I love the idea of allthose coffee colors. Now me, it would be a chocolate quilt, all shades from dark, bitter to truffles, to mocha to.....'scuse me, need to go to the kitchen now! LOL

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Well, gosh - if your DH likes that pattern - keep sewing! Forget about the seam ripper!

The other day I was driving and admiring the dark brown tree trunks, 100s of greens in the trees and fields, bright yellow flowers mixed in with purple flowers along the road side, the blue, blue sky - all the colors worked so perfectly and it was so beautiful! Perhaps a scrap quilt is like nature - it all works together.

Cheers!

Evelyn

dot said...

I like the look of the new quilt. Sometimes our mistakes turn out to be a really good pattern. Just be happy hubby likes and go from there. The wind will eventually die down and a good picture will be taken. Good luck.

Patti said...

Me too - that's why I like scrap quilts! After all, nature displays all the colors together in our world, and they look great!

Linda_J said...

It looks wonderful, Rebecca--maybe you just had a "happy accident" with the blocks--not what you originally planned but it works well. Why waste time with the seam ripper when you can put those blocks together for a finished top?

I had to laugh when I saw the blowing RR. My mom likes to put hers out on the line for pics too rather than have my dad assume Quilt Holder duties. Some of her pics take on the appearance of yours--maybe not quite that bad though!

quiltpixie said...

While the pic doesn't do the RR any justice, it is a wonderful picture in and of itself. Makes me almost want to do laundry so I can hang it outsie (-:

Norma said...

I am with your husband on this one. I like this! It is very masculine. Good job.

Karen said...

The blowsy quilt is a cute picture! And I love browns in a quilt so much; yours looks great.

Bonnie said...

It looks like your RR quilt is shy and trying to cover up. I hope you can get a picture to show us. We want to see it!

Your brown quilt is very nice. It looks warm and comforting - and masculine too.

ForestJane said...

It reminds me of an optometrist's quilt, with all the E's pointing different directions. :)

I wish we had some of your breezes! We have no air movement here, and VERY hot days, so the air quality is not so good.

Mary said...

I like scrap quilts best too. I'm not sure what I would have said my favorite color was but noticed a couple years into quilting that I have more blue fabric than any other color. I'm still not sure it's my favorite but I have 2 shelves full!

Susan H. said...

I am making my daughter a quilt like your coffee quilt only hers has the strips in rows, one row of light beiges, alternating with midtone beige/browns. The setting squares are red. I have 7 of 12 rows done - it will be queen sized when completed. I have not been able to make myself work on it lately, got tired of strips of off-white/beige. However, DD is upset I haven't finished it, so I guess I have to pull it out soon. Love your darker colors. I am very drawn to browns now.