Saturday, July 15, 2006

This is a quick tropical quilt. I used 6 inch squares with white sashing. It is quilted with a tropical flower/pineapple design in red thread, top and bobbin. It is a twin/large couch size with polyester batting.

It is very windy here today, my ds says, "the trees are dancing". He came inside last night after having a mudball fight with big sister. He was covered in mud and sand and had the biggest frown. When I asked what was wrong, he just stuck out his lip further. Finally he said that when he asked her to stop she wouldn't and had gotten mud is his mouth, see? He said he wanted a hot shower to wash the mud away. He jumped in the tub, and soon was clean and pink again. What a cutie! He was so sad, I just couldn't take his picture.

The bolts are dwindling at my lqs, shelves are being emptied, the notions wall is close to bare. It is hard to believe she will be closed. What to do? The next closest quilt shop is 120 miles from here. I will miss getting together with quilty friends there for a workshop, or just in passing. When you live in such a small town, every business is so important. Every shop that closes is another service we have to drive to get. During the dark winters, you need a place to go other than where you are, it gets so depressing. Darn it. I'm so sorry to see the shop close its door.

10 comments:

Gail said...

such nice colors in that quilt, simple and pretty!

Linda_J said...

Looks very summery! Is this one going to live at your house?

quiltpixie said...

Perhaps your local quilt shop could become a friend's house where you place orders on-line, and she could use your house for the same purpose... that way you both get out of your space, and don't have access 24-7 to the "shop"...

Norma said...

I love your tropical quilt. It looks like a pattern that you could easily adapt to many different themes! A great one to reduce stash / scraps.

I understand what you are saying about a long winter. We have so many days of rain here in the winter, that the lack of sunshine effects peoples' moods. Yuck!

dot said...

What a bright airy quilt. I like it, you did a great job on it. Sory to hear about the shope closing. It is sad to see a business go, especially in a small town. I agree with quiltpixie, get togeather, order fabric over the internet and enjoy each others company.

Barbara said...

Nice quilt..really nice fresh colours. Sorry about the quiltshop..it can be such a great meetingplace....!

ForestJane said...

I love all the brights in that - makes me think I need to use more yellows in my quilts!

Mama Koch said...

Your quilt is so bright and cute. I understand not having a quilt shop. My closest is about 100 miles away and jus not real convenient to go to.

Shelina said...

That is such a gorgeous quilt. The colors are so nice and bright, and choosing white for the background was a super idea. I'm not brave enough to do that. The quilting is also exquisite. I can send you my address if you want.
It is sad that your local quilt shop is going out of business. Such a long drive to the next one. Mine is within walking distance, and living in the city, lots of others I can drive to. I can't imagine having to do without. I guess internet shopping and stocking up would be good options.

Mary said...

Very pretty, I like simple quilts that have impact. Too bad about your quilt shop closing - maybe that will help with your Stashbusting?