Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Designing Quilts

Many of you asked in the last comments section if I designed the sunflower in that post. I don't know how to anwer that. Is it from someone else's pattern? no. Is it altered from a pattern in a book or something? no. Did I just make it up? I guess so. Let me explain.

I wanted to make sunflowers. First I had to decide if I wanted them arty or realistic. What colors did I want? What size block? Appliqued or pieced? I decided arty, pieced, and whatever size. So I started looking for sunflower inspiration. I looked thru books and magazines, and loose patterns that I have. I looked for sunflower material, but decided to make sunflowers with material, not material with sunflowers on it. So I bought some yellow, orange, brown and green. Since I like scrappy and not all matchy, I picked out some other material from my stash in those same colors. As I was looking thru a book there was a tree skirt made from strip pieced equilateral triangles. However, it was all green strips with black triangles to make diamonds. But as I was looking at that pattern, I though, sunflowers! So when I came home, I made some strips of brown, orange and yellow and cut them the size of my triangle ruler. Then I added green to make diamonds as diamonds are easy to put together like squares.

Then I played around in EQ5 to show the design to my friend. She LOVED it! Said it was PERFECT!

Do I usually do things this way? Yes. Do I ever follow patterns? Yes, about 30% of the time.

Green quilt: my inspiration from Home for the Holidays by Lynda Milligan and Nancy Smith. Sunflowers: my quilt in EQ5.




So, did I design this quilt? I still don't know.

13 comments:

anne bebbington said...

I definitely think you did - after all isn't that what all quilt designs and patterns are - adaptations of something that inspired them before - they're never totally new - somebody has usually done something similar or along the same lines if you hunt extensively - but that's what quilting is all about, drawing inspiration from others and putting your own personal twist on it - love the EQ pattern - really looking forward to seeing it made up

quiltpixie said...

yup, you designed it.... You made a pattern and followed it. A pattern that had not been created by another, there was no other just like yours out there in the world in terms of the size and number of fabric pieces (even if they were a different fabric) Its very similar to your inspiration in terms of the pattern, but isn't the same, so yup, you designed....

The Calico Cat said...

I think you did - the "inspiration" was not completely designed by the ladies who published the very pretty green version - that "design" is as old as the hills... (I am using Fons and Porter's pattern of that design with CW repros...) Your "design" is the fact that you have sunflowers blooming!

My only advice on making a good pattern into a great one - since it is arty - is to maybe leavepart of the bottom half scrappy green - so that the stem part of the flowers is "stemmy"... (As it is you have a birds eye view - my idea is the view from a humans perspective.)

All in all it is very neat & I can't wait to see it finished - any way you make it!

Mama Koch said...

I like it. I've always like sunflowers and I think you've done a great job with this one. Yes, it's different and maybe that's why I like it so.
Am anxious to see yours all made.

Hanne said...

This will be a gorgeous quilt !

Patti said...

Yes, you definitely designed it. Designers get inspiration from everywhere, then use it to create something new. That's exactly what you did.

Linda_J said...

looks pretty cool--and you may have inspired by the others but that doesn't mean that you slavishly followed a pattern but rather took it another level.

you changed your blog template!

computerpeach said...

I agree with everyone else also - that you may have gotten your inspiration from the other quilt, but you designed it yourself.

Love it!!

Esteemarlu said...

I like your green and black design better. It almost looks Victorian. Yes, I think it does look like a sunflower but I still like the green and black.

Bonnie said...

Yes, it is your design - and it is a good one!

marisa said...

wonderful your quilt. I'm italian my name is Marisa and I love quilt,cards...my english is no good. Visit my blog.Ciao

Tazzie said...

Your quilt is just lovely. I think if it came out of your mind, then it's yours!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Susan said...

Whoever gets the credit for designing, you did a beautiful job of the making. =)