Sunday, August 06, 2006

I don't follow patterns

Most of the time, I just make up my quilts. I have read enough patterns and followed directions enough to figure out how the shapes go together. So when I see a quilt I like or have an idea, I don't need to have exact directions to do the project. I like to make things using the size of the ruler, then I don't have to concentrate real hard on the measurements. Sometimes, I don't even use a quarter inch seam allowance. Since I pieced from strips mostly, it doesn't matter. Sometimes, my blocks turn out to be weird sizes, like 11 1/2 inches finished. But then I just make the borders to the measurements of the quilts, so the block size doesn't matter.

I don't really see how I have designed these quilts tho. These patterns have been around forever. Just because I didn't follow someone's written directions, I don't have the rights to these patterns. Why should I care if someone sees a quilt I have made and says, wow! I want to make one like that. But I do buy patterns in the quilt shops, to see how the quilts I like were made in the first place. Then I do my own thing, and my quilts are always different.

My DH says I quilt like I cook. He says I start with a recipe for Sweet and Sour Chicken and end up with BBQ Beef. I don't think it is THAT bad! But I do put in what I like and take out what I don't, and add extras, and change things. My meals turn out great but not repeatable. But hey, that would make life boring. He says he doesn't know how my quilts turn out square when I break all the rules. I guess the thing is, to know which rules to break.

I made this pointy stars quilt this year. This was made from scraps from 1000 Pyramids. I made half rectangles with the scraps made the size of the ruler. Then I added squares to make the blocks. Strips for the sashing and more strips for the border. Length of strips in the borders didn't matter.
This little scrappy top, I also made without a pattern. I sewed strips together and then cut them into rectangles, the size of a ruler. Then I sewed three rectangles together, two horizontal and one verical. Then sewed the blocks together. It is hard to see the pattern because we usually look for squares not rectangles. Width of strips didn't matter.
A friend sent me a bunch of four patches. So I added to them from my stash to make these blocks. They were supposed to be the same as in a book, but when I went back to look at the book after the blocks were done, they were not the same. The block in the book did not have the center square. Oh well.
I made this spider web quilt to try out a new ruler. I put pink and purple together, light and dark. I sewed one light to one dark and cut out triangles(once again the size of the ruler). Then put them together, and added corners to make the blocks. I added the corner hst's just for fun.

14 comments:

Gail said...

However unusual your method, it certainly works for you! Each quilt that you showed is lovelly.

SewUniqueCreationsQuilting said...

Your quilts are beautiful! Thank you for sharing. However you come up with your quilts is what works best for you. I like to just start cutting, then piecing and what happens, happens! Sometimes it's good and sometimes I just shake my head and laugh!

quiltpixie said...

sounds like you are the ultimate "design as you go" person -- if something needs more you add, if its too big you cut it off, you just make it work a la Gwen Marston. :-)

Norma said...

Thanks for sharing your quilts. You have given me inspiration to look through my stash and try some of them--especially that 4 patch.

Linda_J said...

if it works for you, then don't change a thing. Hard to argue with the results, after all. The quilts look lovely and each works just fine with color selection and methodology. Often we make things way harder than they need to be with this process.

The four patch looks intriguing, she says, while staring at it trying to figure out how you did it, LOL.

dot said...

Lovely quilts. I quilt like you, follow my heart and head not so much a pattern. It doesn't seem like the patterns work for me. I do read patterns and look at pictures but mostly go on what I think will work.

Bonnie said...

I like all your quilts. And I like that you do your own thing. Your results are wonderful.

Patti said...

There's certainly nothing wrong with not following patterns. You are obviously a very creative person. You can pull ideas from the world around you, then put your own spin on them as you create. That is a wonderful talent, and you are so lucky to have it. The results are certainly beautiful!

Nancy said...

What a lovely quilt show you've graced us with today. I especially like the 4-patch and can see myself doing that with some of my scraps.

I rarely follow a pattern (or recipe) either. Mostly just use them as a jumping off spot.

joyce said...

I love all your quilts, esp the four patch. I have a lot of squares on hand and my try something similar. I like your method of designing as you go. I do a lot of that on my design wall.

Mary said...

Pretty scrap quilts. I often combine elements from quilts I've seen into one I'm working on. I do buy and read lots of quilt books and magazines so I'm always seeing something I can adapt.

Susan said...

Yay! Your webring is back!

Hedgehog said...

I like the way you described how you made this purple/pink quilt - it seems more doable to me now!

Hedgehog said...

I like the way you described how you made this purple/pink quilt - it seems more doable to me now!