Thursday, August 31, 2006

My dear MIL made it home safe to Iowa. Easy trip, no complications.

On the way home, driving from Anchorage, we saw the northern lights. We stopped and looked, and they were from one side of the sky to the other. They even turned the moutain into a silhouette. We watched in amazement for at least 20 minutes.

I made some maple leaf blocks today for a church project. I was happily sewing along and pressed and started sewing again. All of a sudden I realized, the previous sewn seams were gone! What??!! I was totally confused, checked for bobbin thread, checked the top thread. Yep, the threads were in the machine. Then I noticed that my iron had been turned up and as I was using polyester thread, it had melted! Poof! Gone. I have never had that happen before. So I changed thread, turned down the iron and re-pieced the pieces. What a day!

5 comments:

Marcie said...

I love Maple Leave blocks. I am sorry you had to re-do. Sorry, but I am laughing. I would have been mad if it had happened to me, but it didn't. I hope you have a sense of humor, it's a good story!

quiltpixie said...

laughed at your lost seams... Maybe that expensive disolvable thread isn't needed, I should just use polyester and a hot iron :-0

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

So good that you stopped and took the time to enjoy the beautiful Northern lights.

And - I have heard that polyester thread/hot iron story before - but it was a machine quilter who pressed a customer's top before quilting it... ouch!

Cheers!

Evelyn

EileenKNY said...

Good thing you noticed that thread before you set all those blocks! What color maple leaves are you making-autumn?

Laurie Ann said...

I had something like that happen when I was using some of this great flower fabric that my mother had gotten me from a garage sale. I had used it in lots of other scrappy projects with no problem, but I had my iron turned up that day and I guess it wasn't 100% cotton because it just melted. Now I am using the rest of it in my rug, just in case!