Monday, August 28, 2006

Tomorrow we take my dear MIL back to the airport to fly home. We have had a good visit, played lots of gin rummy and cribbage (sp?) . I haven't been sewing much as I have been spending the time with her.

She mentioned the other day that she wanted to stop and buy a u shaped pillow for her neck on the airplane for the way home. Well, I just drew out a u shape and made her one. It seems kind of big, but she says it works great. Now she matches my wallhanging!

I am so excited about going to the quilt festival on Sept. 6 in Valdez, AK. I am taking a two day class from Judy Niemeyer www.quiltworx.com and two classes from Billie Lauder www.easymade.com . I have everything ready to go.

My kiddos go to school this week. I know they will have such fun. DD is in third grade and DS in Kindergarten. I will miss them tho. I suppose I will get lots of sewing done.

The rain has finally stopped and it has been nice for two days. The temp is about 50 during the day and tonight is supposed to be 29. A few nights ago, during a break in the clouds, we saw the northern lights. Very odd for August, usually we don't see them until Sept. And it is starting to get noticably dark at night, starting about 9:30. The fireweed has bloomed to the top, which signals the end of summer and is going to seed. And the leaves are starting to go yellow. Snow is predicted for Sept. 16 this year. I will keep you posted!

7 comments:

quiltpixie said...

you're so lucky to see the northern lighs already! Its some months before we see them in southern Canada, and I must say, being on the edge of a city, they're not nearly as spectacular as when I've lived elsewhere. Enjoy the last few days of summer. They're somehow the best ones...

Linda_J said...

Bet you will be sad to see her go especially since the kids are off to school as well. Sewing time but too quiet??

Bonnie said...

I looked at Judy Niemeyer's website and was wow-ed by her quilts. What fun to take her class and Billie's class too.

Susan said...

Sept. 16! I can't imagine - that's not even fall yet! I love Billie Lauder. You will learn tons from her. She's in my best friend's quilting group - it's amazing what she creates! I'm jealous. =)

Shelina said...

That was so sweet of you to make that for her. Cute fabric.

JudyL said...

That pillow looks like something we should all have. Did you stuff it with batting? Poly? How tight?

I'd be thrilled to be taking classes from either Judy Niemeyer or Billie Lauder and you're getting to do both!

Judy L.

EileenKNY said...

Enjoy the festival, and have fun in your classes. Don't you just love Judy Niemeyer's work? Her Wedding Star is on my to do list for someday.