Wednesday, September 06, 2006


Here are two more nickel blocks. They are 16 inch blocks so I only have to make 20 and with a border the quilt will be 76 x 92. The half square triangles were nickels to start with, so they end up being 4 1/2 inches. So then I cut some nickels to 4 1/2 inches and sewed them together. It is a little slow going because I haven't got the design figured out in my head yet, so I have to check each piece to see if it is right. This pattern is from the book "Nickel Quilts", however in the book the blocks are 8 inches.

Tomorrow, I get to sew all day. Kiddos and DH all in school. I will have my own little retreat. I will listen to QNN, watch Fons and Porters DVD's, eat some chocolate, play in EQ5, fondle fabric and make some more stars. I will probably not work toward my Sept. goals at all.

The fall colors are so beautiful right now. I better enjoy it because it doesn't last long. Snow is predicted for Sept. 16, so less than 10 days. It was 38 when I got up this morning. I walked the kids home from school yesterday and we walked on a path through the woods. I was just in awe of the colors surrounding me. First, the bright blue sky with puffy white clouds, the grey tree trunks and the clear yellow leaves. Green in the fir trees, and brown bark above the orange and green and yellow and red ground cover bushes. The cranberries are clear bright red, the fireweed is seeding and blowing away. The fireweed leaves are red, as are the dogwood leaves on the ground. I am amazed every season at the colors that all go together.

10 comments:

Tazzie said...

Hey there Rebecca, I really like those scrap stars, they look like they'd chew thru the scraps at a fantastic rate!
I was looking at your user name ... and I'm thinking we're born in the same year ... '69 right? I'm Nov 69.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

quiltpixie said...

those last few days of autumn are always such a treat. Its a wonderful time to take a self retreat -- and having it be a fabric day makes sense to me! :-)

Gail said...

I can't imagine that you are at the endof autumn already and expectin snow. Here we seem to miss spring and fall and go directly from winter to summer and back again. I like fall and spring better *sigh*

Bonnie said...

The description of the fall colors is wonderful. I think every one of us will be wishing we could have taken that walk with you!

Karen said...

Tomorrow sounds like fabulous fun, Rebecca!

Linda_J said...

nice and scrappy! I am looking for fall sew in ideas--this might be something we can do.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I love living in a place where there is a definate change in the seasons! I like the "smell" of fall, winter, spring and summer too - each one so different!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for awhile - and you certainly make me miss home. I always loved the beginning of the school year when you'd walk to the bus and you could stomp on all the frozen puddles.

Richelle
from Willow

Shelina said...

Nice description of your walk. good that you can take the time to enjoy your surroundings. If you add the quilt to your September goals, then you will be working towards your goals.

Jeanne said...

Oh my, snow coming already!? The autumn colors sound so lovely!
Jeanne