Thursday, January 25, 2007

Little Brownie Girl Scouts



My daughter is a Brownie and I was asked to lead the project to get the sewing badge. I saw in American Patchwork and Quilting (June 2005) this cute little yellow wool felt pincushion and thought that this would be a good project, as the girls are grade 1-3. So I made one to try out the pattern...mine is the red one. I reduced some of the stitching to make it easier and then cut out all the pattern pieces. We only had two sessions to sew and cutting would have been a whole session unto itself. So here are two of the hats the Brownies made. Some turned out better than others, but all the girls did a great job! They were very patient and did not stab themselves with the needles. I had them use big darning needles and six strand embroidery thread.

I am very pleased how these came out and so were all the girls. And everyone finished their hat during the second work session.

9 comments:

Norma said...

You did a fabulous job of adapting this pattern to young stitchers! What month / year of APQ was this pattern in?

Carolyn said...

What a wonderful project to introduce the Brownies to sewing. Very clever of you!

Carol said...

What a great way to teach the little girls the joy of sewing.

Susan said...

Those are just so cute. I remember making that kind of thing as a Brownie, a GS, and as a junior leader. Those are good memories you are giving the girls.

Shelina said...

These are adorable. You did a great job adapting the pattern for the younger children.

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Working my way through the Stash Quilts Ring just to say Hi - the pincushion is adorable. Bet the girls had fun!

cher said...

the girls are lucky to have you a a leader for such a fun project!

Mrs. Moody said...

I am a brownie/junior leader and would love the information about this. I had to go back to your archives when I saw the newspaper entry.

Sarah said...

Cute idea, I'm planning a meeting for my brownies for their sewing badge. Which pieces did you cut out? I am just trying to figure out how you do the top of the hat part.