Thursday, January 18, 2007

Plays With Fabric

Whee! I am playing in the scrap bin! I decided to put my strips in order for their size. I have a box of less than two inches, a pile for 2 inches, a pile for 2 1/2 , a pile for 3, a pile for 3 1/2, a pile for 4 and last a pile for 4+. The little pile by the bin is weird sizes or squares or need straightening or something. I will put the piles in the gray plastic bins in the back. These just have odds and ends in them. Can you see what a dent I have made in the scrap bin? HAHAHAHAHA, none at all. When air gets to the scraps, they expand. I am sure of it.

I mentioned I was taking a bargello class at Quilt U on the web. Well, here is my little finished top. I really liked how it turned out. The teacher was not too thrilled with my fabric choices. This is what she said "Rebecca, I like the fabrics you have choosen, however I think your colour range is a little too wide. With a lot of colours, you will lose the Bargello effect. Can you try using perhaps the blues and oranges with the print, and obmitting the purple and gold? Let me hear your thoughts. " So I considered her opinion and then kept my own colors. I was reading McCall's Quilting With the Pros II, December 2006, and there was an article on Kaye England. Here is her quote. Q: What is a common shortcoming among many of your students and how do you help them overcome this? A: I think a lot of women don't value their opinions enough. I work real hard to help my students trust their judgment rather than ask their friend in class because I want them to feel confident with the skills they already have. ... (Design Tips) 1. Focus on value as opposed to only color. 2. Trust your own judgment. 3. If a block isn't working out, you can always use it to make a potholder. Some people act like this is brain surgery, but I remind them that it's just a block." So, anyway, my point is, it is my project and I like my colors. I was a little offended as I did not ask for her advice on my color choices anyway. I realize that she was only trying to be helpful, had the best of intentions, is the teacher, etc., but it is MY project. I will be the one living with it.

And with the fabric left over from that project, I made this. This cute little bag, called the ScrappySak, takes about 6 fq's total. It is designed by Nancy Mirman and Ellen Hauben, Design and Planning Concepts, 17 Summit Circle, Somers, NY 10589 (914)277-5210. This is not a hard pattern at all. The directions are very good and the pattern comes with full size templates.

13 comments:

Angie said...

Awesome, girl, you are on the move! LOL Love that Bargello, but I love the bag even more!! Is it s a difficult pattern? Is it a pattern that one can order?

Nancy said...

I for one like the colors in your bargello. I always thought the idea WAS to have good contrast between the rows. Good for you sticking to your plan and not letting the teacher impose HER taste upon YOUR project.

BTW, I have bins just like those with my strips in them. In 1/2" increments from 1/1-2" to 4-1/2". 5" all get cut into nickels and 6" and above gets folded in with the FQs or cut down into smaller strips/squares.

Gail said...

Your quilt looks fine to me- as you said, you have to like it and live with it! Love the bag-aught to make one or two for myself.

Mary said...

I like the bargello too - good for you going ahead with your color scheme.

I finished the last block tonight for my current string quilt so the bins are going to be closed up for a bit but I'll be back to work with them before long.

Carol said...

Your quilt looks great to me...as I always say to gals that come into the shop and ask me to help them pick fabric..."You have to be happy with it...it's going to live at your house". Glad you did what you wanted to do.

joyce said...

I love the bargello. I tried it once and ended up with half done place matts that I think went to the thrift shop lately. Lol. I think we should stick with our own color choices. If they don't look good together, at least we have learned something.

anne bebbington said...

How rude - putting you down like that without being asked for advice - I like your bargello and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, foolish woman!

Susan said...

I don't think it loses the bargello effect at all! I think it's lovely.

And a matching bag. How cool is that!

The scrap bin made me laugh. Actually, I think the air does get it and make it seem like more - or maybe it's just that they like the freedom - like air molecules when warmed, they expand the space they use!

Sandra said...

I thought the idea of a quilt with a feature fabric was to pick colours from that fabric which you've done - I like it. The orange, purple and blue liven the whole thing up and make it interesting to look at :-)

Shelina said...

Wow, Rebecca, I don't get it. When I was teaching a TATW class, I tried to tell the class to make sure they had a wide variety of values for the quilt. I can't imagine telling someone to make the color range smaller. It's all taste preference. Maybe she was trying to go for the blended quilts look. I am glad you stuck with your gut. Yours is beautiful.

JudyL said...

I need to get into my scrab boxes and get them organized.

I think your bargello turned out great. I'm glad you went with your own gut and used the colors you like. You're so right -- this isn't brain surgery and if in the end, we choose bad colors, we learn from the experience. The only time I have been really disappointed with my quilting is when I let others talk me into using colors that don't interest me.

Judy L.

Patti said...

Your bargello turned out beautifully - I like your color choices! Why do some teachers do that I wonder - especially when you didn't ask for advice?

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I love to see when someone posts a photo of a little pile of fabrics and then - magic - those fabrics are turned into a beautiful quilt! I think it came out great and the bag is sooooo cute too!

Cheers!

Evelyn