Friday, February 09, 2007

Leftovers

Isn't this just the cutest brightest wallhanging you have ever seen? I had some leftover blocks from this pink and green quilt top hanging around my quilting table so last Saturday I decided to "color" for awhile. Remember as a kid, getting that fresh new coloring book page? All that possibility, all those colors, and YOU were in control. So I took these blocks and made something, just for fun, no pattern, nothing "perfect". And it was great! (I originally had planned to include an orange "hello!" but that just wasn't working.) This is the quilt top the blocks are left over from. The photo does not do the brightness justice, believe me!
And here is a closeup of the quilting. I used my Janome 6500, nylon thread on top, Bob's prewound bobbin polyester on the bottom. And then just went to town. I was sort of trying to do a McTavish look, but wasn't referring to a photo or anything. So I was doing the swoopy thing but in my own style, on the border. I meandered the background of the blocks, pretty small and just outlined the shapes, not finishing the edges. I fussy cut out the butterflies from another fabric, and all the flowers and leaves are freehand. I would guess this took me about an hour solid to quilt.The biggest problem was the fusible web! I followed the directions. It was wonder under I think, and after the fusible was on the fabric, the paper WOULD NOT come off! It just tore off in little tiny shreds. So what's up with that? I have not had this problem previously, so obviously something was wrong. Is the wonder under too old? I've had it about a year. Was the iron too hot? The fabric was unwashed, but the fusible stuck to the fabric, so that was not the problem. Any suggestions?

And here is just a photo of a quilt that was on ebay that I really liked.

15 comments:

joyce said...

Melody Johnson had a long post awhile ago about Wonderunder. I think there was a problem from the mfg and you may be able to get it replaced if you contact them. Her blog is Fibremania if you are not already a fan of hers. I can send you the URL if you need it.
I love the little wall hanging. There seems to be a lot of pink and green around lately.

Angie said...

Your wallhanging ia ADORABLE! I LOVE it! :P And the main quilt that you made using those fabrics is gorgeous!

Jeanne said...

What a fun bright wallhanging! Your butterflies are gorgeous!
Jeanne :)

Norma said...

Only an hour to quilt, eh? If I understand correctly, you quilted first and then used the Wonder Under to apply your applique pieces? Excellent job! I also like that photo of your ebay find--a different sort of scrap quilt with hexagons made into stars.

Shelina said...

All sorts of eye candy on your post today. Your big quilt is beautiful, and your little one is so bright and perky! I love that you used up your leftover scraps to make this pretty thing rather than save them for some future leftover project, like I seem to be doing.
I have heard of wonder under problems too - but I thought it was mainly paper coming off too early, rather than not coming off at all. I wonder if your WU was an overcorrection of the previous problem.
I like the spider quilt too - very different from your brights! Are you going to buy it, or make one of your own?

Michele said...

Hi Rebecca,

I just found your website today and had to comment. You have some great quilts going on. Plus I totally love your statement about a collection rather than a stash! I may have to borrow it.

Love your blog. Keep up the good work.

gwen said...

the green and pink wall hanging is really nice and the quilting a hit. I have just put a similar quilt to the one you found on Ebay (much smaller though!) on my blog. I love that pattern.

Tracey said...

The wallhanging is eye poppingly bright and cheeful. Thanks for sharing all those great quilts!

Melinda said...

I love your bright fabrics. I have been doing a lot of bright quilts myself and they make me happy.

Veronica said...

Definitely a bright and cheery quilt. Love it! I, too, am impressed with the fact that you took "leftovers" and made something so wonderfully unique. You go, girl!

Laurie Ann said...

I find that if I try to take the paper off too soon it will do that. If I leave them sit for 20 minutes or so, the paper comes off easily.

Nancy said...

the original quilt is pretty but I just love the "leftovers". It makes me smile. :-)

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Absolutely adorable!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Mary said...

You did a nice job with your McTavishing - I keep thinking I'm going to do some on a quilt but so far I haven't. I usually end up doing something different but it certainly works in this border.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Oooohh, aaaahhhh - lovely! Such a fun, bright, cheery quilt to look at on a cold winter day! And - your quilting is wonderful... sorry to hear of your Wonder Under troubles though.

Cheers!

Evelyn