Thursday, February 15, 2007

Tessellation

Ever since I was in high school and took an art class, I have loved tessellations. This is the Merriam Webster definition "a covering of an infinite geometric plane without gaps or overlaps by congruent plane figures of one type or a few types." What??? Ok, some examples would be a four patch repeated over a quilt, 1000 pyramids, diamonds, hexagons, rectangles, etc.


There is a man, M. C. Escher, http://www.mcescher.com/, who was the KING of tessellations. Check this out:



Totally Cool! This man was a mathmatician but used the formulas to make art. Check out the website.



Ok, so I was looking at a tesselation and wondered if I could make the block in EQ6. Not like I would ever make this quilt but it is fun to play around. Here is the block:



Here is the quilt with a straight set:



Here is the quilt on point:


Here it is with some color and set in the baby blocks quilt:

Can we say WOW!!!



11 comments:

Lori (A.K.A. Elkhoundmom) said...

Well done! DH has been asking me to make him an Escher quilt for ages, but I must say it seems a bit beyond my ability.

Norma said...

I love your block and quilt designs. I think this would be a perfect masculine quilt!

Vicky said...

Wow! I'd say you definitely have to make one!

Gail said...

Tesselations are fascinating, and maybe someday I will attempt one. In the mean time, I'd be happy being as proficient in EQ as you are! WOW

Shelina said...

I too like tesselations and Escher. There is at least one book on tesselation quilts, but I think they are beyond my skill level to just make the quilt, much less design one.
I think you should make that on point one. Just squares and rectangles, and it looks like weaved ribbons.

computerpeach said...

wow - great quilts. The baby-blocks one is amazing; but like you, I think it is out of my ability. One of the first two, however, may have to make it on my "to do list".

Jeanne said...

Those quilt layouts look amazing. I need to play with my EQ6 more.

joyce said...

I love that tesselation pattern. I did a snails trail which is a tesselation for my grandson. I might have to try this one as well, with your permission.

heather said...

I love this. It isn't that hard if you strip piece it. You will just have to pay strict attention to the color placement. I may have to try it too.

Heather
www.spiritblog.net

Susan said...

Looks like fun! My son went through an Escher phase, and I learned way more than I ever wanted to know. =)

Mary said...

I like the woven effect of the first two.