Sunday, February 25, 2007

Three Quilts This Week

I quilted another quilt today, Grandmother's Choice, and finished one yesterday, Spider Web. Whoo-hoo! I'm on a roll...

I quilted Spider Web with wavy lines over the seams, that way it didn't matter if I was "in the ditch". I can't quilt straight lines, even with a walking foot. Then I meandered the border, and discovered it is hard not to cross lines when the thread matches the fabric! I should have used a thread with more contrast so I could see it. This one is being donated to the quilt guild also.

And here is my poor daughter, now she is sick. She has a fever and was cold, and this was just finished and so I put it over her. Can you see in the closeup photo how I quilted this one? I found a design on Quiltmaker (www.quiltmaker.com) and traced it onto Golden Threads Quilting Paper. I love quilting with this paper. Anyway, after I quilted two blocks I thought maybe I could do the pattern without the paper, and boy freehand is hard! Getting the right curves required a lot of concentration. And I thought I already had a lot of practice! I supposed I could have been precise and marked the blocks where the points would go, but that is not in my nature. Then I quilted loop de loops in the border, with varigated thread so I could see it! Did you happen to notice that I make scrappy bindings? That's because I never cut the bindings when I make the tops! hahahaha

8 comments:

Norma said...

I love that spider web quilt! It reminds me of the table toppers that I made for Halloween and Christmas. I must try making a quilt with that design.

Vicki W said...

Oh, how nice to give your DD a new snuggle quilt while she is sick. Both quilts are really pretty!

Laurie Ann said...

Good job on your finishes! I like what you did in the corner borders of the spiderweb top.

Gail said...

You are really going to town, good for you! I like the purple kalaidoscope best- its puurrrple!

Rose Marie said...

Love the quilts. I recognize the pattern on the scrappy one and have used it on one of my quilts. It was quick and easy to do. Great job! Isn't quiltmaker.com a fav place for quilting patterns?

Jeanne said...

Congrats on your finishes. Both quilts are wonderful, but the purple is my favorite.

Hanne said...

Lovely quilts and a good job done on the quilting :-)

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Great quilts; as always!!! Sorry to hear that your kids have been sick - I hope your DD is feeling better soon.

Cheers!

Evelyn