Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Spring!

Spring is in Alaska! The sun is actually heating the air, and the snow is melting!!! Yea! Of course, we have no flowers yet.


This is what I am working on today. These are a light and dark 2 1/2 square sewn together, then sewn to a 2 1/2 by 4 1/2 rectangle. Easy way to use up little squares. This is from the book "More Nickel Quilts". Is this pattern too unnoticable, I wonder. It is not as contrasting as I usually like. I think from far away it would be very noticeable, but up close it is kind of lost.

I had a little sewing retreat this last weekend. We went to a town a ways away and I took my machine and a little box of fabric, and my iron. I got all set up in the dining room of the house we are staying in, and realized I forgot the pattern! So I sewed light to dark squares, (that was the easy part), then sewed on the rectangles. But I really didn't know which way to put the light dark side. So I did a few each way. I couldn't figure out the pattern on my own, so I had to give up. After I got home, I found the pattern and had done half of the squares wrong. So I sewed them on the other side and then picked out the first seam. I ironed them all out and trimmed to 4 1/2 inches. But some were too small! I resewed a smaller seam allowance, and picked out the second seam! Then reironed and trimmed. Did I say this was an easy pattern? Some days are like that.

I have a dilemma. I made a quilt for my brother about two years ago. But then I got mad at him and didn't give it to him. Then he moved so he doesn't have a bed for it now. I got over being mad. He doesn't know about this quilt, but my mom does. He already has a quilt that I made him before. So, I am feeling the urge to give this quilt to a charity. But should I? I guess since it is my quilt I can do whatever I want with it. He doesn't need it. I never gave it to him. If it were a sweater or something, it wouldn't be a big deal. I guess I just answered my own question. I will donate it.

You just never know who is going to read your blog. I've had a couple people tell me lately, "Oh, I came across your blog!" and I had not told them about it. It's a good thing I don't write bad things about people on here!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hi, Rebecca! Gee, I would have thought it was too early for spring in Alaska; shows what I know :-). What does the quilt look like that you made for your brother/to donate ??