Thank goodness I am suffiently recovered from strep throat. Antibiotics are wonderful! My dh is so sweet, he brought me these flowers as a get well gift.
It is spring break this week, and I have been doing a lot of cleaning. Not that it shows much. I have washed the cupboard doors, and the outside and top of the fridge. I vacuumed the crumbs out of the cupboards too. I dusted off the heaters, and vacuumed out the bottom of the closet. Things that really needed to be done but don't make the same impact as a clean living room. The living room has been clean a few times this week but with kids home from school, it doesn't stay that way long. My kiddos decided to go to the beach one day, so here is the beach, Alaska-style.
I had an epiphany in the middle of the night. I had this quilt out and the batting ready and the backing pieced. But I was struggling on how to quilt it. Then (since I wasn't sleeping anyway) I was looking at "The Best of Shirley Thompson Quilting Patterns" Compiled by Cheryl Barnes and I saw this block pattern. Eureka! I couldn't wait. I jumped out of bed and started marking a block with chalk. I discovered the shapes in the block made for perfect quilting reference points. So I spray basted the quilt (yes, at 2:30 a.m.). I finally went back to bed and in the morning I got up and started quilting! I chose navy blue thread for the back, (the back is the same as the binding) and this bright yellow and orange variegated for the front. I wanted something to stand out and tone down the black. Wow! I quilted all the blocks, and they turned out well. Not perfect by any means, but I am getting better.
Then I used the edges of the blocks to guide a little loopy thing in the first border, did a loop inside each hst in the second border and quilted a large meander in the last border. I trimmed the top and batting and turned the back to the front to make the binding. All in one day! And I did other things in the same day too!
Okay, the blocks in this quilt are 12 inch finished. I won them in a block lottery in an online group. I have had the top finished for quite some time. I got it out when our guild needed some quilts for fire victims, and I was awaiting quilting inspiration. I bought the orange and yellow thread for an autumn themed quilt that I sent to the long arm quilter as it turned out much bigger than intended. For this quilt I wanted a thread I could see, and too much of a match is hard to quilt with, and a thread that wasn't dark. I noticed that when I used a variegated thread last time on a dark background, the dark blue and green did not show up. Then it looked weird with only the light thread showing up and then a patch of thread you couldn't see.
I will throw this quilt in the washer this morning and then hunt up another thing to quilt. I'm on a roll!!!!