Saturday, June 23, 2007

Shopping and Projects

Have you ever heard of Sweet Treats? The Pincushion Boutique has this great fabric club program. I have been so pleased with all the fabric they have sent. It is such a great present to get in the mail, a surprise wrapped so beautifully.


I was looking for something to do yesterday and took a bunch of fq's out of my scrap box (ones I didn't particularly like) and cut them up into strips. I counted 14 yards of fabric I stripped. Wow! And it seemed like such a little pile to begin with! I cut strips 3 1/2", 3", 2 1/2", 2" and smaller bits. I sure added to my strip bins.


And I finished a UFO quilt top. I started this one in January. I got six rows finished and all the other strip pieces made but then stopped. Each block is 6 inches so the quilt is 48x60. I don't think I will border it. I really like the darker blue swirly fabric. I am trying to decide how to quilt it. I have the back pieced and the batting cut out. I always prefer cotton, I like the puckers after washing.



This pattern called Joseph's Coat in the book I got the templates from is my newest hand piecing project. The circles are 11" across. I have three done and the pattern calls for 49! Number four is half done. I plan for this quilt to be my daughter's wedding quilt. But I have time to make it as she is only 8! But I know that when you put things off, then all of a sudden the time is now, and it is too late.


Here is another top that I had done but not finished. I had to replace one of the squares in the middle as I found out that the dye ran. (How did I find that out? ) I kept putting it off, and it took what ? five minutes ? Anyway, I got it quilted, but haven't put the binding on yet. I do have the binding cut and pressed!



I found these cute bag handles at JoAnn's for 97 cents. So of course, I had to find a pattern to go with them. I didn't buy more fabric though! Well, for this project.



I bought these pencils to try. Does anyone have an opinion?

13 comments:

dot said...

The quilts are great. I don't know anything about the pencils. Let us know what you think. Your daughter should love the quilt when she marries, lets say at about 26 or later.

Gail said...

You accomplished quite a lot! Those quilts are so colorful and happy, nice job.

Jeanne said...

Oooh, I like the scrappy ones! The blue with strippy and those squares :)
Jeanne

Pam said...

The "blue swirly" fabric reminds me of water and all of the colors in the strips are bright like my Koi....I would call this Koi Pond for sure!

Joseph's Coat...wow...that is a project not to be hurried. It will be a treasure when finished. Inch by inch...it will get done!

Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com

tami said...

Wow you sure got a lot done. I love the string quilt. That swirly fabric gives it movement.
I know what you mean about putting things off and then the fix taking no time at all. I do that all the time.
Everything looks gorgeous. Keep up the good work.

Mary said...

The top and quilt look great. The Sweet Treats are always at the Mid Atlantic Quilt Show so I usually get a bundle or two every year. I didn't realize they have a monthly club - I bookmarked the site.

Laurie Ann said...

Love the x-string quilt! I've made a ton of those and they are fun every time!

swooze said...

I havent used those pencils but I did buy a box of watercolor pencils as someone suggested. I am going to make a test sample and see how it goes through the wash.

Rose Marie said...

Love your quilts! The swirly fabric reminds me of water with floating air mattresses. The Joseph's Coat looks interesting all scrappy.

Shelina said...

Ooh, all sorts of goodies to look at today. Fabric clubs sound like so much fun. I think it would be fun to get a surprise squishie in the mail regularly.
Good for you for cutting so many strips. You will be ready now for your next scrappy project!
Congrats on finishing the UFO top. I think it looks great - and I like the blue fabric too.
The Joseph's Coat one is the one that intrigued me the most. It is absolutely gorgeous. What book is it in? I can't start a hand project - haven't finished the small bits of applique I have on other projects, but this looks so beautiful.

paula, the quilter said...

I don't know about those pencils. I use General's Pastel Chalk Pencils. I have 2: white and dark gray. Both wash out beautifully.

Jeanne said...

Great looking quilts. I don't have an answer for your thread problem. Sorry

Nadine said...

Hi, Rebecca !
I was just browsing the Stash Ring members Blogs, and discovered your nice Blog... (so interesting !)
I love handpiecing scrap quilt, and my eyes were caught by your beautiful new project - "Joseph's Coat" -
Can you please tell me in which book you found that pattern ? I searched the Web, but the "J's Coat" they're showing me is not that one...(You know how it is, in such a case : this block is going to haunt my mind ! LOL)

THANKS a lot for your kind help, dear !

Hugs & smiles from Belgium !

NADINE
("Friendship Threads")

ps : I wish your moving house happened in the best conditions !