Saturday, February 16, 2008

I finished the coffee quilt!!! I designed and made this quilt top, but it didn't turn out quite the way I envisioned. So I wasn't planning on finishing it. The fabrics are all the colors of coffee, and a few fabrics have coffee cups or coffee beans. But my husband took a liking to it and asked for it. He wanted it poofy though like a comforter. So I got the fabric together to piece the back. Wouldn't you know! I didn't have enough of one kind for the back. Well, ideas progressed and I decided to make the quilt reversible. So, I pieced the back too. But now it is all together, tied not quilted to maintain poofiness. Hubby loves it.

I am taking Flower Power at Quilt University. I thought I would share my projects so far. We are learning about stabilizers, color gradations, upside down applique, and that is only up to lesson 3! So here is the first project, a free hand collage from a photo.


My little piece is smaller than a piece of paper. It certainly is not a masterpiece, but it was fun to do. I did enjoy using all the thread to make the flower details. Now that I've had a few days to look at it, the top most petal is really not right. But if you didn't see the original drawing you wouldn't know.

We had to pick another photo to use as our big project. I found this beautiful flower in a green house, but I don't know what it is called. Then we had to trace it, and mark the color changes. That is a lot harder than it looks. I am reworking the tracing after manipulating the photo in photo shop. I can use the digital colors in polarization to make the color breaks clearer.


I am unhappy here with the leaves, but you can only do so much with a box of crayons. These are the fabrics I have chosen for my project. The background is really more purple than it shows here.The next step is to trace the drawing onto stabilizer and start appliqueing it. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

3 comments:

Norma said...

I love the reversible coffee quilt! I can understand why your husband loves this one! Your pieces that you are working on through your classes are fabulous!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Well done on the coffee quilt. You were very inventive for the back..great idea making it reversible.

Mary said...

I like the coffee quilt too.

Everyone seems to be taking online classes - the flowers look good and how fun to learn something new.