Thursday, November 27, 2008

I haven't been posting about losing weight because this is a quilting blog but I have been trudging along, losing slowly and I am down 21 pounds since April. This is a post to congratulate myself and tell you how proud I am of how I controlled myself today. 

We went to some friends' house for dinner, but I brought the turkey, dressing, gravy, salad and sweet potatoes.  She made rolls, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie and apple pie.  What a feast!  I had one plate of dinner.  One.  Not even heaping, not overly full, just one plate.  Then for dessert, I had two pieces of pie with whipped topping.  But I only ate half of each piece.  When dinner was over I left the table satisfied.  

In the past, I would eat so much I felt like throwing up.  I would hate myself and wonder why I couldn't control my behavior.  I would swear off eating the next week, and swear I would exercise eveyday for the rest of my life.  But today was totally different.  I ate until I was satisfied and then stopped.  There was even food left on my plate.  I ate what I wanted of dessert, and then left the rest! 

I feel powerful tonight.  I feel like I controlled myself today.  I feel good about how much I ate.  I still like myself this evening and I won't go to bed depressed and unhappy.  

Whoo-hoo!

5 comments:

Pat said...

GOOD for you! I need some of that self-control, so can you ship some from Alaska to me in Delaware? I am at the age (older than you from the picture, I can tell) when I'm starting to have some health issues, so I really need to tone down. I was the person who wasn't ABLE to gain weight when younger....weighed 90 lbs., soaking wet, at age 18. Now, though, it's a different story. I hope I can do as well as you are doing. Keep up the good work. You SHOULD be proud of yourself. It's not easy and you are doing so well.

Jeanne said...

That's terrific, Rebecca! What is your secret? BTW, I love your Joseph's coat quilt. It will be a beauty.

swooze said...

Good for you. Once I mastered this skill I got most of my eating habits under control. It is a big step and you should be proud.

Pam said...

Good job! I think the key is learning to stop when satisfied and be thankful. There is great power in knowing you have succeed at even the smallest of baby steps. Keep up the good work.

Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com
mycreativemind@pamgwillim.com

JudyL said...

Good for you on the weight loss.