Tuesday, October 06, 2009

We have been eating homemade bread for about two years, and I make it about once a week. I always use some whole wheat flour, and then add some oatmeal, rolled oats, wheat germ, flax seed, maltomeal, or some other whole grain product.

I have been experimenting in the kitchen. This week I made some bagels!


Then I made some more bagel dough and filled it with leftover steak, peppers and shredded cheese and made portable sandwiches.


And the outcome of the taste tests? Outstanding! The kids loved it! Begged for more! And that is a sure sign of success!

2 comments:

Jean C. said...

Good for you on the making your own bread! I used to make it all the time and just got out of the habit! Bagels too... aren't they great! Do you make the type that you boil and then bake? They are a bit chewy this way but really good! I found that when we ate breakfast in the a.m. if we didn't eat all the hot cereal I would put that into the bread and it was nice not to waste it! Adds more good stuff to the bread too!
Have you tried making granola? I have a good recipe for it from a cookbook I got years ago...

Jean C. said...

Hello again... it's Saturday and I'm passing thru again...
I just remembered something else. If you take a good roll receipe and place pizza sauce and then things you may like on your pizza... like pepperoni, cheese etc... and seal them up and then cook! Yummy! Bet your family would enjoy them as much as mine did as they were growing!